Athleisure is here to stay. Why? Because not only is wearing sweats every day extremely comfortable, but it can easily be dressed up into an eternally stylish look. This winter, temperatures are getting ready to start dropping, which can make looking your best a little tricky if you want to stay warm as well. Luckily, we’re here to help. Below, we’ll go over how you can take advantage of the winter athleisure fashion trend this year, so you can look and feel your best!
When you build a home, you start from the ground up. The same goes for your outfits. If you want to create a universal athleisure look this winter, you’re going to need the proper footwear. Unfortunately, open-toed shoes like slides and sandals won’t cut it. But there are plenty of other athletic shoes you can don this season to create the perfect look.
One pair of shoes that should be in every woman’s closet are running shoes. Winter running shoes don’t have to be used for just the sport. Running shoes also serve as the perfect walking shoe, due to their immense comfort and cushioning, meaning you can wear them when you’re out and about on the town. Even better, a good pair of winter running shoes will come with a waterproof layer, such as GORE-TEX, so your socks stay dry even when you step in a pile of icy slush.
To create the perfect athleisure look with a pair of running shoes, opt for a neutral pair, such as black or white, or a pair in a solid color. This way, you’ll be able to match the rest of your outfit easily. From there, find a pair of leggings or sweats that have matching colors, and a similar styled top. Before you know it, you’ll be strutting the streets in comfort and style.
Still building from the ground up, you’re going to need to look for a pair of athletic bottoms that are both comfortable and stylish. You don’t want a pair of sweatpants that make it look like you just rolled out of bed or finished up a tough workout at the gym. The key to the athleisure fashion trend is making sweats look like you belong on the cover of Vogue.
Some athleisure bottom ideas you can consider to achieve this look include:
- A metallic skirt with a matching gray crewneck and a pair of tennis shoes
- A bright-colored tracksuit with trendy heels
- High-waisted leggings with platform sneakers and a cropped sweatshirt
- Joggers with an oversized windbreaker and chunky sneakers
When it comes to athleisure tops to wear this winter, there are a variety of different routes you can take. From hoodies and sports bras to jackets and sweaters, here are some ways you can create the hottest winter outfits:
- Wear an oversized hoodie as a dress and pair it with thigh-high boots
- Place a puffer jacket over a sports bra and matching bicycle pants and running shoes
- Give a mini dress a taste of athleisure by wearing tennis shoes and striped athletic socks
- Wear a crop top with a puffer jacket and your favorite mom jeans, while completing the look with a pair of statement sneakers
- Try a retro-style windbreaker with black leggings and white tennis shoes
To top off your winter athleisure look, you’re going to need some accessories. Accessories are a great way to draw attention to certain aspects of your outfit and fully complete your look. Accessories also allow you to show off your personal style and taste while adding detail to help complete your overall appearance. Some great accessories you can wear to go with your athleisure look include:
- A fanny pack: Not only are they in vogue, but fanny packs can store all of your essentials such as your phone and wallet
- A backpack: A classic backpack will pair perfectly with your athleisure look and can store bigger items as well, such as groceries or your laptop.
- A lanyard: Prone to losing your keys? A lanyard will keep them on you at all times and will add a unique touch to your athleisure look.
- A beanie: Keep your head and ears warm with a cool beanie that matches your puffer jacket and street shoes.
You don’t need to be a fashion designer to pull off a winter athleisure look. Odds are, you most likely have all that you need in your closet already. The key is to curate an outfit using athletic apparel with similar colorways. With the right pair of shoes, sweats, and accessories, you’ll have the perfect athleisure ensemble to strut around town in.