Shirley Bassey once sung, “diamonds are forever.” True. Whether it’s an engagement ring, an anniversary or birthday gift or you just want to give your significant other something special, you can never go wrong with diamonds.
But the real challenge is how to select a stunning diamond ring. For many, shopping for a diamond ring is difficult especially when you are not knowledgeable enough about diamonds and jeweler. But with the right amount of knowledge, shopping for a diamond ring can be easy.
Here are some tips that will help you select the perfect diamond ring quickly.
Tip No. 1: Be familiar with the terms when shopping for a ring
One reason why others find it hard and takes a lot of time to shop for diamonds is because they don’t know what the jewelers are talking about. Don’t be one of them and educate yourself. This will give jewelers an impression that you know what you’re talking about. Therefore, familiarize yourself with terms such as:
- Band: The circular part of the ring where the finger goes inside.
- Setting: The piece attached to the band that holds the diamond in place.
- Gemstone: Usually the diamond.
- 4Cs: Cut, color, carat and clarity.
Tip No. 2: Know what your girl wants
The diamond ring should match your lady’s personality and style. Since you’ll most likely give it as a gift, ask some of her closest friends or family members about what she wants. You can even ask her about rings in general – just don’t make sure you’ll give a hint that you’re planning to buy her a ring. You can even look into her closet and jewelry box and conclude her taste from there.
Tip No. 3: Find a good jeweler
This can be tricky because there are a lot of sellers who are taking advantage of people’s lack of knowledge when it comes to jeweler. Make sure that the jeweller is registered and has the necessary qualifications to sell jeweler. Ask your friends or family for recommendations or shop around first before buying anything. If you plan to buy online, make sure to read reviews before placing your order. Remember that being expensive doesn’t necessarily mean that the jeweler is good and a trusted one.
Tip No. 4: Determine your budget
This can be the deciding point of whether to buy a particular piece or not. It is not advisable to spend your entire life savings just to get your girl the most stunning diamond ring. Rather, stick to something you can afford and inform your jeweler about your price range. This way, s/he can show what type of ring falls within your budget. And remember, it’s the thought that counts.
Tip No. 5: Know your diamonds
Again, educating and familiarizing yourself with the terms is important. More importantly, you should know what the 4Cs is all about.
- Carat: The unit of measurement of the diamond. This refers to the weight where every carat has 100 points.
- Color: Diamonds are graded from D, E, F (colorless); G – J (near colorless); K – M (faint yellow); N – Q (very light yellow); R – Z (light yellow) and Z- (fancy yellow). The quality diamonds are within D to I.
- Clarity: this refers to the imperfections in the diamond. The lesser imperfections, the greater the quality.
- Cut: The cut impacts the sparkle of the diamond. It can go from round, princess, radiant, marquise and emerald among others.
Selecting a diamond ring is not rocket science. By familiarizing yourself with the terms and understanding what your girl wants, you’ll be able to find the right ring in no time.